The Gates Scholarship 2018
The Gates Scholarship is a highly selective, full scholarship for exceptional, Pell-eligible, minority, high school seniors. Starting in 2018, the scholarship will be awarded to 300 top student leaders each year, for 10 years, with the intent of promoting their academic excellence through college graduation, and providing them the opportunity to reach their full potential.
Scholars will receive funding for the full cost of attendance* that is not already covered by other financial aid and the expected family contribution, as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
To apply, students must be:
- From at least one of the following four minority communities: African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian & Pacific Islander American, and/or Hispanic American
- A citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- A high school senior
A Gates Scholar must also be enrolled full-time, in a four-year degree program, at an accredited, not-for-profit, private or public college or university.
An ideal candidate will have:
- An outstanding academic record in high school (in the top 10% of his/her graduating class)
- Demonstrated leadership ability (e.g., as shown through participation in community service, extracurricular, or other activities)
- Exceptional personal success skills (e.g., emotional maturity, motivation, perseverance, etc.)